MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC. Everyone loves music. MUSIC is for everyone. As a piano teacher, I help every student make music and to have fun making music.
I offer affordable piano lessons (both group and private) for all ages. Teaching is what I love to do, It gives me energy. My wish for my students is to finish the lesson feeling enervated and inspired.
Most parents are aware that making music helps develop other academic skills. Simply explained, the process of making music creates neural pathways in the brain. These "neural muscles" may be used for abstract reasoning such as in math, science or language. Adults too, may benefit from music making in the same way. A study done in 1999 at Michigan State University by Dr. Fred Tims "Music Making and Wellness Project" stated adults who took group keyboard lessons had reduced anxieties, stronger immune systems and higher levels of humane growth hormone.
If you have read this far, I think the decision is made to play the piano, organ, or join in a music collaboration project. So, this is what I do:
- Teach students how to read music notation, by using flashcards, texts, "Play & Say" or activity sheets.
- Supplement lessons with ear training, sight reading, simple improvisation and fun, familiar tunes. I always ask for input from the students: "What is your dream song to play?"
- Discover the learning style (visual, auditory or kinesthetic) of the student. Hint: how do you study spelling words? Do you write the words, say each letter or just look.
- Break down a large task into smaller tasks. Example: learning a complex two-handed rhythm would start with tapping each hand separately, then slowly tap together. Counting out loud is encouraged.
- Give praise often and offer improvements constantly. My teaching approach has been shaped by experience with different students, my own musical journeys, 14 years of attending conferences, workshops and meetings, and finally my very strong feeling that making music should be fun.
More benefits of making music: (From music educator Margaret Ott) Good investment of free time. Helps reading and study skills. Builds confidence. Musical skills cannot be stolen or lost. Make music throughout your whole life. CREATE BEAUTY!